The condition of crawl spaces has the highest and relevant impact on the health situation of housing space. These spaces are greatly affected by moist weather. The gathering of moist air within the spaces may help the growth of mold and mildew there that cause a tearing effect over the foundation. Local bugs and other termites might also find the space a safe refuge for continuing their destructive activities.
These are the prime reasons why proper care should be adopted while fixing the crawl space. Let us vent through the following alternatives:
- Not to install additional vents: It might be thought that with an addition of additional vent, more moisture will be eroded. But in practice it was found that extra vents could only able to infuse additional humidity during high humid seasons. Instead of maintaining the cleanliness, it imparts dirt into the floor.
- Spraying foam in damp space: Spraying foam has proved to be one of the most effective insulation. But it will leave an imposing stratum over the dampened crawl spaces. Since moisture gets easily trapped between the foam, the wall, as well as the moist foundation wall, will be safe generating station for mold, wood rot, mildew, and termites.
- No insulation with Fibreglass while the damp crawl space is under repair: Another common fault made by the house-owners is insulating damp crawl spaces with fibre-glass. In doing so, fibreglass would surely absorb moisture from the crawlspace. But it will make the dampened crawlspace most hospitable for growth or mold and termites. In this case, the effective absorbing property of Fibreglass has made it an ineffective solution.
- Vapour barriers should not be added to floor joists: Vapour barriers are installed in crawlspace within floor joists. The strategy works well in debarring the moisture from seeping into the joists. It happens that during summer months, condensation in the crawlspace gets trapped between the joists and the vapour barrier. Therefore, this incident will help the growth of mold and wood rot in the joists that are strictly avoidable.
- Not to skip the drainage system: Both dirt and concrete crawl spaces are subject to drainage issues. When rainwater and groundwater gush into the crawl space, the danger is equal if you try to keep the water stranded or help the crawl space air out, i.e. allow the wooden structure absorb the moisture.
A planned and effective drainage system can help in winning over such situations. It will take into account the type and slope of the crawl space floor, the foundation, and drainage outside. Therefore, the system is often included with a sump pump and a dehumidifier. These will be designed according to the needs of the crawl space.
After all, the best thing for tackling the effective repairing processes is to contact an experienced crawl space solution provider. Any professional contractor will help in the savour of money, toil, and tension in the whole affair.